Shrove Tuesday. Does this mean a “confess” day or a Pancake Day to you? If it wasn’t for Wikipedia I did not know that today I am supposed to “make a special point of self-examination”, and consider what wrongs I need to repent. I am inclined to think I’ve made more wrongs to myself than to the others lately, so I could celebrate the day with sweet treats such as these Nutella Dorayaki.
This is a Japanese recipe adapted from Japanese Cooking 101 where you can find a beautiful video with precise instructions to make a scrumptious dessert sandwich with your favorite filling between two slices of pancake. Last week I stopped by the Japan Centre nearby Piccadilly Circus to have Taiyaki, a yummy fish-shaped cake. The little stall outside the shop was already closed, unfortunately, and I fell back on something I’ve never tried before. This is how I discovered dorayaki, sandwich pancakes with a filling of red bean paste (green tea mascarpone cream for me that night). The version you find here comes with a creamy Nutella soft centre (now that I said Nutella I know my job about the recipe description is done :)).
After a long day of rain the sun is shining in London. I eventually learnt to appreciate rainy days and now I feel slightly uncomfortable when the sun stands majestic above my head. How long will it last? I can see clouds on the horizon, already. Too bad that my Nutella jar is empty and there’s no pancakes left… it’s going to be a Pancake Day without pancakes for me. What about you?
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 Tablespoons Nutella
- 200 ml double cream
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, and honey together. Add milk and mix well.
- In another bowl mix flour and baking soda.
- Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture, and whisk until batter becomes smooth.
- Heat non-stick frying pan with a small amount of oil. At medium low heat, drop 1/8 of a cup of batter onto the pan. Cook until the surface of the pancake has a lot of bubbles (about 2 minute) and the edges become dry, then lip over and cook 1 more minute.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with a wet paper towel.
- Prepared the Nutella cream by whipping the double cream until it becomes stiff. Add Nutella and mix well.
- Take one cake and place a heaping tablespoon of creamy Nutella and cover with another cake. Pinch to seal the edges of the pancakes together.