The World Cup Adventure is already over for Italy. What about your football team?
OK, let’s not pretend I am a “true” football supporter. It’s just all about my origins, I come from a country where football is printed in everybody’s genes, easy to enjoy and cathartic for modern men just like a beer on Friday after work or the reassuring idea that someone will sooner or later iron that pile of wrinkly shirts for you.
Now, the reason why I share with you the incredible news of Italy crashing out of the World Cup, is not so much ’cause “my team” was beaten by other teams not so great on paper or because I’m tremendously sad about not having excuses to leave the office early, but rather because of the “carnivorous way” the Italian experience ended.
Have you read the news? The very much esteemed Uruguayan footballer Suarez took advantage of the proximity of his mouth to the shoulder of the Italian defender Chiellini to bite him. I have no reason to believe that he wanted to turn into Dracula, I conclude that Suarez must have been very hungry.
In my humble opinion, he would have been delighted by this baked omelet that I made out of Soba noodles, cheese, mushrooms and eggs. A dish I adapted from the traditional Neapolitan recipe of “frittata di maccheroni”. But I can’t be 100% sure since investigations to ascertain the cause of the accident leads to Suarez strongly craving for some meat at the moment of the bite. Nobody told him that Chiellini’s shoulder is notoriously unappetizing. With plenty of grass on the field, vegetarianism would have been a better choice for him. 🙂
- 185 gr soba
- 3 eggs
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese (cheddar or any other cheese that melts is fine)
- 5-6 button mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Cook Soba noodles into boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes. Once noodles are cooked, transfer them in a colander and rinse well under cold running water to get rid of the starch.
- Cut the mushrooms in thin slices. In a large bowl beat eggs with grated cheese, salt and pepper. Add noodles and mushrooms to the egg and cheese mixture and mix well.
- Coat a small-medium baking pan with oil and transfer the noodles+eggs mixture into it.
- Bake at (190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5) for about 10 minutes.