Feeling like baking something effortless? This pie with no crust suits you well, then. In no time the cake is ready. Let the potatoes boil till tender and be ready to “work hard” when it comes to peel them. No crust, no pastry, it’s all about the sweet potatoes, so the preparation, consisting in peeling and mixing all the ingredients, will only take you 10 minutes.
Rich in carbohydrates, vitamins, antioxidants, folic acid and potassium, sweet potatoes make this “no crust pie” a very health treat and a perfect match for my weekend afternoon tea. I used reddish potatoes with a very irregular shape and white flesh. This sweet potato variety is less sweet and moist than those with orange flesh so I decide to add some honey to the batter. Feel free to use the variety you have on hand and the type of sweetener you like the most (muscovado sugar, for example, would fit well).
Rum and raisin is a timeless and classic pair. Too lazy to soak raisins in rum for about an hour, as the majorities of recipes would suggest, I’ve just tossed the raisins in the batter. My laziness didn’t lead me to anything bad this time and I really enjoyed the delicate taste of this effortless tea cake.
Sweet potato, Rum and Raisin Pie
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp Rum
- 50 g butter
- half cup milk or a bit more, depending on the size of potatoes
- half cup raisins
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 30-40 minutes, till they are tender and ready to be mashed (check the consistency with a fork).
- Once the potatoes are cooked, peel and smash them (I've just used a fork, if you have a food processor you can put all the ingredients inside and let the machine do all the work).
- Add the eggs, rum, honey and butter. Mix everything. Incorporate the flour and the baking powder. Pour the milk. Add the raisins and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Et voila'. Transfer the batter in your baking pan (oil it to make sure it won't stick) and bake at 180 degree Celsius for about 25-30 minutes.