I’m definitely a huge veggie burger fan and always welcoming new ideas to make a vegetarian pattie that is able not to leave me longing for the meaty one. When I was a little girl (not long ago!) my grandma would cook me eggplant polpette (no meat meatballs) on some special occasions (or when she was running out of meat? It was not clear to me). Those little veggie balls were even tastier than the meaty ones. With these memories in mind I tried out an eggplant-based recipe replacing dried bread with sweet potatoes (which I doubt my grandma has ever tasted). All the other ingredients belong to the original recipe and deliver, as I personally tasted, a great taste.
Sweet Potato and Aubergine Burger
- 1 eggplant
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup bread crumbs or whole flour as I did
- chilli powder or pepper to taste
- olive oil to cook
- Peel (only if you don't like the skin), cube and sautee for about 10 minutes the eggplant in a pan with a little olive oil.
- Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes till tender. Once cooked cut the sweet potato in cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggplant and sweet potato and smash them with the back of your mixing spoon. Add the egg, oregano, flour or breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Shape into patties about 3'' in diameter. In an oiled pan fry patties until browned, about five minutes on each side.
- Serve on buns with condiments and toppings of your choice.