Chocolate cravings can placated with no feelings of guilt by these small treats. I eat them after dinner to end the day with a mellisonant note, sometimes in the morning to get started with a self-soothing moment. 7 small mini cakes that will take care of me once a day during a week of icy winds and frantic life in London.
Sugar free (I used honey, instead), yet sweet enough to tackle with the finest sweet expectations. I haven’t bought any sugar in a while. I like the idea to reward bees for performing their natural job so well. Luckily enough, a honeyed cake tastes like all the others (or better, like no others). And with rum, chocolate and orange it creates a tasty symphony.
Sugar free Sweet Chocolate, Orange and Rum mini cakes
- 100 plain flour
- 100 grams butter
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- half cup milk
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 orange
- 4 tbsp white Rum
- 3 eggs
- Melt the chocolate (in pieces) with butter on a double boiler (or in a bowl in the microwave or in a pan over low heat). Stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pieces of orange peel (I previously cooked the whole orange in water for about 30 minutes). Remove pulp from orange and cut it in small pieces. Keep some orange rind shreds for decoration.
- In a separate large mixing bowl beat the egg yolk with the honey. Pour it in the chocolate mixture, add the rum, the orange pulp and stir.
- Beat the whites until frothy and stiff and add them to the mixing bowl where all the ingredients are. Add the flour, soda, baking powder and the milk to adjust the consistency. Mix it all.
- Spoon into a muffin tray or muffin cups and decor with pieces of orange peel. Bake at 180 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.