Now that I have a full time job I have to make sure I get all the nutrients and vitamins the my body and mind need to function at the best. Didn’t I need these things before? Yes, but now it’s “different”. On a standard day I have to survive quite a few (read MANY, TOO MANY) meetings and if I eat the wrong meal (the one that my body doesn’t process easily such as everything prepared in the canteen of the company I work for) I make myself fall into sleep mode. I still haven’t figured out how to answer complicated questions while I am secretly in standby. Meh.
Any tip on how to get enough energy and strength to go through a meeting straight after lunch? Chia Seed could make the trick. Wouldn’t this be an excellent meeting energizer? I think so.
I already tested the ability of this seed to provide sustainable energy by replacing my boring oatmeal with the delicious and light “Chia seed and oat porridge” pictured here.
Just so you know, 1 ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.
Healthy stuff and hopefully a solution to my daytime somnolence at work. We’ll see…
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 5 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 3/4 cup almond milk (or milk alternative of choice)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp agave
- toppings as desired
- In a large bowl, combine oats, chia seeds, yogurt, agave and milk. Fold to combine until ingredients are evenly distributed. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes to allow chia and oats to absorb liquids.
- Transfer to desired serving containers. Add toppings as desired (I love it with blueberries!). You can store in fridge for up to 3 days.